Sunday, May 21, 2006

Interesting things about Geneva (from an American perspective):

Old school elevators. For example, the elevator in the building I’m living in now consists of a small elevator with automatic doors; however, when the elevator gets to your floor and the automatic door opens, you have to push another black industrial like door open to get out. This door also doesn’t open if the elevator is not at your floor.

Instead of ground (or G) floor, the first floor when you enter a building is designated Floor Zero. I think this is a European phenomena.

The public transportation system is run on an honor system. There are people who go around and check your ticket randomly (green people taking trains by storm) but I have yet to be on a bus or tram that has had people check my ticket, and I ride the bus or tram at least three times a day, but usually more. Almost everyone buys tickets anyway and I heard it’s pretty embarrassing to be caught without a ticket. The fine is 80 swiss francs on the spot; if you don’t have that, you have to pay 100 sfr within two weeks or something.

Tax and tip are generally factored into the listed prices of things, like food or drinks at a restaurant or bar..when that’s taken into account, the prices aren’t sooo bad.

Everything is closed on Sunday. EVERYTHING. some restaurants and cafes are open though.

Grocery stores only stay open until approximately 6 or 7 pm. Thursday is ‘late’ shopping day, when selected places stay open until 9 pm.

I think I have seen one homeless person. Actually, I saw one person I thought was homeless and a gypsy mother and son begging for money. I wonder where the homeless people are…maybe I’m in the wrong part of town.

Most apts have balconies in the city. I like such little balconies.

Will add to the list as I think of more.

No comments: