Wednesday, July 08, 2009

patients and patience

so, as many of you know, i 'officially' started residency at johns hopkins bayview on july 1, 2009, which is the official start date for residencies throughout the us. in reality, most of us start before, and we had three days of orientation before starting our first rotation on june 25th.

i started on one of the "easy" months of intern year named "Med-Psych". med-psych is basically a smorgasbord of physical diagnosis rounds, where we go see patients with interesting findings and work on honing physical exam skills, attend different clinics (derm, psych consults, and our clinic where we follow patients over 3 years) and lectures, work on physician-patient communication skills, and do touchy-feely activities talking about our experiences, which i generally like. we also do one weekend of night float.

so, as a doctor, i have my 'own' patients, patients that i serve as the primary care provider for. i saw my first patient in my first clinic on my first day of residency. after a whirlwind orientation by our trusty senior resident attending, i grabbed the chart and walked in. the patient was new to the practice, so there were no old records to look at - just starting off afresh.

even though my first patient was there for a physical, he also was establishing care for the first time in awhile and i spent most of the time just talking to him. he was older, around my parents' age, and he reminded me of a trucker, in a lonely type of way. he had some pretty wicked tattoos, and i asked about them - many of them were related to martial arts, and we ended up spending some time talking about that, and buddhism, and meditation. after we had gone through all the required questions and physical exam and i finally (half) figured out how to complete all the paperwork for a new patient, he said,

"thank you so much for listening to me! i can tell you really care - that's why you went and got that MD after your name. i'm really glad you're my doctor."

i was kinda speechless, and was just like, "thank you. im glad youre my patient" or something lame like that. but it felt great, because i was so nervous, and he was my first 'real' patient, and i was happy i was generally on the right track.

my second patient of the day was a woman who had a genetic condition that had caused both physical and mental delays since birth. she was wheelchair-bound and had to have all her needs taken care of by her mother. talking to the mother, i was totally amazed at her strength and ability to find ways to make sure her daughter was involved in family activities. i really didn't have a clue about lots of her medical problems, but tried to get social work involved because it sounded like she was having lots of problems coordinating care and payment of a lot of the things she needed to take care of her daughter properly. i haven't had a lot of experience with disabled people or patients, and hope to learn more in the future.

after my first clinic i was feeling better about myself. my medical assistant that helps me out, patience, and the supervising resident, liz, also totally saved my butt helping me figure out what - and where - everything was in clinic, and that i had filled in everything properly. next stop: night float.

there are two things you can do on night float: cross-cover (take care of urgent issues that come up at night for patients whose primary md's have left for the night) and admit patients to the hospital after the admitting team has capped (met their limit) or after a certain time (midnight?) so the admitting team can take care of the patients they've already got.

the first night at the hospital i was on cross-cover. the day float really took time to transition and orient me, which i was super grateful for, and then she handed me the 'float' pager. one of the first tasks that i was asked if i wanted to help out on was to try an arterial blood draw from a patient who was a hard stick because she had blown most of her veins injecting drugs. she was totally NOT happy to see us, and totally sensed that i clearly wasn't 100% confident about doing the art stick. she ended up yelling at me before i even got a chance to try and said she wouldn't allow me to do it, that there was no way i could possibly be a doctor. she also stated that didn't understand why she was being experimented on, and demanded that the senior resident supervising me try. the senior defended me (i was so grateful, especially since we had just met like 10 minutes before!), explained to the patient why we had to do the blood draw, and calmly convinced her that the procedure was necessary. unfortunately, the senior couldnt get it either, and the patient kept being belligerent.

after we left the room, i felt relieved and thanked the resident for sticking up for me. she was really supportive and said she was sorry to had to deal with that my first night, but i know i totally will have to deal with patients not agreeing with everything or totally trusting me. at the end of the encounter, the resident mentioned that she believed that the patient also needed to take responsibility for the situation we were in - if she hadn't blown all her veins, we wouldn't be having to put in lines or trying to stick her all the time to get blood. i hadn't thought about it this way before, and im still trying to wrap my head around how i feel about it. so that was my first inpatient experience at the hospital. the rest of the night went pretty well, and by the end of it, i was feeling pretty ok about calling a nurse back, ok'g orders, and being called 'doctor'.

No comments: