Monday, July 09, 2007

i am an immigrant in a country of immigrants

i started id consults today. besides myself, my team consists of another 4th year med student who was originally in my class, a third-year in her last month of internal medicine residency, a fellow from Romania, and the attending. dr kauffman introduced me to my attending (dr malani) last month and i met with her to talk about possible research projects a few weeks ago. besides having a common interest in id, we also discovered that i lived in the house across the street from her childhood home until i was eight years old. the world is small, and the island i grew up on is even smaller. in any case, we decided that i was going to work on writing a review of HIV care in the elderly patient with her and another fellow & plan on publishing it in a geriatric journal. im super excited about it and think ill learn a lot! yay for side projects :)

back to id consults and my team. i think the first couple days on a team are always interesting because you're getting to know people because you're sitting in small rooms with them. of course you're talking about patients part of the time, but (if you have social skills) you're probably talking about life-outside-the-hospital for most of the other time while writing notes, waiting for phone calls, or just doing busy work. as a team of almost all women, the subject of families (and children) inevitably came up early on. all of us are married except the guy on my team, so we talked about husbands and husband's jobs and whatnot. i also found out that my resident went to a liberal arts college and did post-bac at bryn mawr (yay tri-co). she noted that she thought we (as michigan med students) had to work way harder (and learned more) than she did during med school but that it probably didnt matter in the long run. i told this to post-call liz today and she confirmed the widely-believed rumor that michigan med does totally prepare you for internship, so at least i know the q4 is worth it :).

in the afternoon, i got a chance to bond with the fellow who just started at u of m last week. she is originally from romania, where she completed medical school and trained in id. she admitted she was nervous about starting (arent we all, regardless of what stage of training we find ourselves at at any moment in time). we talked about our backgrounds. she talked about moving to america six years ago when her father was approved for a green card and the decision on whether to leave her career and her husband's career (as well as their homeland and life) behind. in the end, they decided to try it for their children who were six and two at the time. she vividly remembers taking her son to first grade in october, when they arrived in america. he did not speak a word of english, and the first day of school he asked his mom "what should i do if i have to go to the bathroom?" talk about resourcefulness and resilience. when she told this story, she was proud of him and proud of his struggles. they all struggled at the beginning, working jobs that paid less than $8 an hr - a big change from their professional lives back at home. eventually, she started studying, got into a residency, and matched into id at u of m. her eyes lit up when she talked about it, saying that she suffered from a lot of inferiority issues as a international medical graduate, didn't think she would get in to an IM residency in the US, much less fellowship. getting into michigan was a "cherry on the top", in her own words. i felt privileged to hear her story and to work with her. it reminded me of how lucky i am to be educated in this country and of the opportunities i have. she also gave me the opportunity to share my story with her.

i am second generation thai-american. i am the daughter of immigrants. i grew up in an almost exclusively white neighborhood on an island and was one of two or three asians in my graduating class.

i wanted to be white for a long time (i didn't really talk about this part with my fellow though). i was frustrated that my parents had rules that my friends didn't, like family dinner everyday with no tv and talking about everyone's lives. i had the same curfew from 9th grade-12th grade until i threw a fit my senior year and got it extended to 1 am (but if i was out, i still had to call to check in). even now, as a married woman and almost-doctor, i still try to call my parents everyday.

identity was a hard thing for me to figure out and was definitely a learning and growing process throughout my young adult life. my parents were always supportive and adamant about being not-american (which they equated with being white). sometimes, it was okay to be american because it was good to blend in and win at their games (academic ones, of course). i distinctly remember my mom saying, 'if another kid in your class gets 95%, you have to do better than that because you are asian (and your work won't count as much).' she thought it was also important that we were able to succeed in an all-white environment since she figured that was what our workplace would look like in the future. interesting message, but one that stuck with me for a long time - fit in, but remember, we are not like them.

i spent a lot of my adolescence fighting with my parents who were raising me 'thai' which meant no going out after darkness and no boyfriends (for girls). obviously i rebelled against all these rules, but i have to give it to my parents for trying. in retrospect, i can say it was okay to be raised 'thai' (and many thai people, including all the nurses i worked with at the repro health clinic in Chiang Mai, approved).

as an adult (it's weird that i am no longer considered to be in the 'youth' category, although 26 is the cusp), i am proud to be the daughter of immigrants. i think my parents demonstrated incredible strength and recognize their sacrifices to give us the lives that they didn't have. i think it is super awesome to come from two worlds, to be thai, to be asian, to be american. i feel like being the daughter of immigrants gives me an unique perspective on language, culture, and struggle. chris and i have talked about our children and how they will be third generation, and that i am sometimes sad that they will not be children of immigrants. i used to think that so much was lost from generation to generation, and sometimes i feel that is still true, but i think a lot is gained too. my parents wouldn't speak out or protest at a rally, but they do donate money to causes (like MSF, or Doctors Without Borders) that they think are cool. i do both, and i try to actively pursue social justice in my life and career (hopefully my kids do too!) with privilege comes a lot of power, and im trying my best to use my privilege to do good in the world. i think it's working so far :)

at my fellow said, 'i came here for my children - if they are ok, i will thank god and know that i made the right decision. i have no regrets." i said, "i think my parents feel the same way and i think your children will be good and make you proud." when i left, she said "thank you for sharing your experiences with me." i smiled and said, "thank YOU!" i think it is really brave for people to share their stories and be honest and admit to their insecurities with others, especially at the first meeting.

it was nice to have that conversation to set the tone for the month, and to remind myself that i do make my parents proud in both traditional (yay my kid is going to be a doctor and my life is complete!) and non-traditional (what is this social justice you're always talking about?) ways. i tried to re-enact this whole conversation with my mom tonight (in the middle of writing this blog entry) but she was watching a korean soap opera (i could hear the music in the background) so she didn't contribute much to the conversation. go figure.

1 comment:

James H. said...

Wow, two sweet posts back-to-back, T-som. The latter is particularly fitting for the whole July 4th period; the former just a good reminder of the wide world of social justice out there that we're kinda pulled away from in AMSA and such sometimes. Of course, the whole classes/research thing doesn't help matters much at all.

Funny that you, Ben, and I are all doing similar rotations (sub-i's followed by ID consults, though both Ben and I opened with ED because we're cowards). Be seeing you on the interview circuit...