Monday, July 02, 2007

US Social Forum and my identity politics

a good friend and past amsa pres was supposed to speak at the US Social Forum in Atlanta about access to essential meds and pharmfree but couldnt make it at the last minute. i was chosen to go in his stead. i didnt really have any background about the US Social Forum at all and tried to hurriedly make plans to get myself down there and find a place to stay. it was pretty stressful. my last-minute ticket cost almost $500 and none of my friends or contacts could offer me a place to stay. i ended up splitting a hotel room downtown with a college student my age from DePaul in Chicago whose class was centered around the US Social Forum. The trip overall cost over $800 for me, but i was able to use my savvy fundraising skills and get most of it covered through IPHU & Global REACH at Michigan. i am thankful for those who support students to attend conferences like these because they really give you a chance to ground yourself in what you're doing. at the same time, my experiences at the USSF really pushed me to go beyond my limits in thinking about not only my identity as a woman of color, but also about the politics that inform my work and my life.

it has been a long time since i've been to a non-health related - or even non-academic -conference. although amsa is awesome and has really helped me provide me with a community of like-minded peers throughout my medical school experience, i was reminded in not-so-subtle ways during the USSF that being a future physician made me part of an elite community. i was no longer a 'college student' or a 'community organizer.' i was not 'youth'. sometimes, i was a representative of the 'broken health care system' or 'the medical establishment.' comments on the first day of the IPHU (International People's Health University) brought back vivid memories of me not feeling XXXXX enough in college. Not Asian enough, not poor enough, not radical enough. i felt frustrated because i didn't like the way i was being judged. i am working hard in the best ways i know how to fight for health care and social justice. med school has not been an easy road for me, but sometimes i need to be reminded that my life has been one of extreme privilege. i struggled with that fact in college for a long time. feeling guilty and not knowing how legitimate i could be in fights for social justice. discounting my parents' struggles because i was angry and felt like i didnt have any of my own to share. growing up and realizing how insulting that was to my parents who worked around the clock to give me all of those things that they never even knew existed in rural Thailand. appreciating them for sending me to Swarthmore, where i began defining social justice for myself, and being okay with bearing their hopes and dreams while still trying to figure out the ways in which i wanted to infuse and live my own life, but not totally ready to believe that my life was partially theirs too.

i remember a conversation i had with a friend, rafael, in college. i was in my i-will-not-go-to-med-school and my-parents-cant-make-me stage of my pre-med career, and he was really adamant about me taking agency and doing what i wanted with my own life. "Screw your parents!" he said. "It's your own life; you're the one living it!" "What would your parents do if you didn't do what they wanted? Disown you?" i had never thought of things to that extreme but just knew that i really felt guilty disappointing my parents in any way. i also felt like i had a big responsibility to prove to them that everything they had done for me was worth it (my mom was never hard-pressed to compare our family to others to prove how committed she was to us). looking back on my childhood (and even at my life now), i have to give it to them though. i had every lesson - ballet, TaeKwonDo, ice skating, roller skating, swimming, piano, and more - that my mom thought would make me a well-rounded person. i went to summer school or camp as soon as i was old enough. my parents' lives were consumed by working at their family practice to save up money for lessons, for school, for medical school. their dreams were a big thing to carry. sometimes, i think they still are, but ive learned many things over the years that have made it a little easier.

i had dinner with a friend and family physician, anjali, where we shared stories of our second-generation histories, stories of how our parents had shaped our lives and stories of how they could be the most supportive people in the world or how they could crush the fragile (independent) identity you thought you had built for yourself. anjali asked if my parents had been supportive of my 'years off' (particularly this last one). i think so, i said, but i prepped them for a long time so they knew it was coming. i have learned to use their language and to frame my decisions in terms of things they value and understand. in college, my parents valued getting into medical school, and now, they value getting into residency. i frame almost everything i do into these contexts and they're okay with it. i've also had a decent track record so far, so i think they've learned to trust me (although they were a little shaky about the whole majoring-in-Chinese thing and organizing in Philadephia's Chinatown in college). i often talk about karma with my parents as well. good karma through my actions is good karma for my parents. to me, it also means that im using my privilege to try and make a difference while i have the chance to do so. i wake up everyday and think about how lucky i am. i hope that i am living up to my past lives and my past karma as well, and pouring water and not salt into the mix. (see analogy from a Buddhist monk in the entry.)

back to identity politics. after being totally overwhelmed by the number of workshops offered at the USSF (about a hundred for each time slot), i decided to center my didactic experience around asian-american issues, attending workshops set up by NAPAWF (National APA Women's Forum) and CAAAV (Coalition Against Anti-Asian Violence). i contributed to the IPHU and to conversations about health care access by presenting about what is going on with Thailand and Abbott, but did not go to any other health-focused workshops after that. i heard amazing presentations from groups like the Asian Pacific Environmental Network, the Bus Riders Union, DRUM (Desis Rising Up and Moving), the Chinese Progressive Alliance, and the API Women and Family Safety Center. i participated in discussions about trafficking, heard stories from workers in sweatshops, and was excited to see and be around tons of progressive APA youth. i felt the need to move to california to be a part of these movements, this organizing. i remembered what it felt like to be comfortable in a room where everyone looked like me. i realized that my days of asian-american organizing were not over, that it was silly to think that i had grown up and moved beyond identity politics because i had already figured out how to be proud of being Asian-American. i finally thought about immigration and diversity and about a lot of things that were coming down around me and how this connected to our struggle as a people and to many other struggles as well. i remembered the moments i had become excited about going to medical school when i saw that health care was a basic right that people needed and i thought that as a doctor (like Dr Siu in Philadelphia) i could provide that. not having health care came up over and over again when people were sharing their stories. all of this resonated with me, and a part of me came alive again.

throughout the four days i spent in Atlanta, i had long conversations with people i cared about and met some new friends as well. i thought about priorities, about what i want out of a residency program, about what kind of community i want to be a part of and how i could build that. i shared my perspectives and my stories and made commitments to help people process where they were going and what they were doing whenever i could. i was happy to come home and didn't feel guilty about it. i thought a lot about how i could be a part of the asian-american movement while being in the midwest. i thought about how, when one of the organizers of the workshop got people to stand up in groups and cheer when he called out where they were from, he didn't know to call out after saying "California" and "NYC" and how the Midwest and South and Northeast just all got lumped together. i briefly felt not Asian enough, but then thought about the necessity of representing my own community that was not based in LA or the Bay Area. i reminded myself not to be ashamed of being, as F.Omar Telan refers to himself as, suburban fabulous.

i briefly shared some of my thoughts with chris when i got home pretty late at night and tried (unsuccessfully) to re-enact the CAAAV workshop with all the different speakers sharing their stories in different Asian languages. before we went to bed, i told chris that i maybe wanted to move to california. he smiled.

1 comment:

Beta said...

Best. Post. Ever.
Thanks for sharing. That was awesome.